June 11, 2013

Did I Really Just Eat That!?!

Before we went to village living, we were to write out goals for our time there. One of my goals was to try some new kind of food (even if it was something very strange).

Well after five weeks I finally had my chance to fulfill that goal on our last day in the village.

Crystal and I went over to say good bye to some friends. As we get over there one of them runs back into their house to get somethings.

This is what she come back with.


Those are turtle eggs.

She says that they brought then for us to try. In my mind I was thinking, “Finally!! I'm so excited to try something new!”

Crystal and I both grab one. Our friend then starts to tell us that they boil it a little but because of the shell it doesn't get hard like a chicken egg. Crystal looks at and me and says, “You first.”

Well the outer shell is very rubbery and you have to pinch a section and peal it back to get it open.

Once it was open it was very obvious that it was nothing like a chicken egg at all.

Well here goes nothing!!

In order to get it down I had to suck it out of the shell and it was such a consistency that I wasn't able to chew it and I just had to swallow it. However I wasn't able to get it all down in one swallow and the second swallow was a very big one and very hard to get down.

After I finished, Crystal kindly put hers back on the plate. And the thought, "Did I really just eat that!?!" goes through my head.

I'm was glad to fulfill my goal but I don't think I have any plans in the future to ever eat turtle egg again.

1 comment: